Lewis Bloor acquitted of conspiracy to defraud as £3m fraud trial collapses
Get a daily dose of showbiz gossip straight to your inbox with the Daily Star’s FREE newsletter
The Only Way is Essex star Lewis Bloor was on trial regarding a £3million diamond fraud investigation, which he was accused of being part of prior to his TV career.
Bloor, 31, was accused of being part of the alleged cold-calling investment fraud, but the case collapsed on Friday, October 15, the Press Association has reported.
The investigation launched in 2014, with a trial taking place this year spanning four weeks at the Southwark Crown Court, which saw dozens of alleged victims provide statements or give live evidence.
However, Bloor was acquitted when the CPS abandoned the prosecution after admitting that material which could have helped the TV personality and his co-defendants, or equally undermine the prosecution, had not been properly disclosed to their defence lawyers.
Bloor was not in court when he was acquitted of conspiracy to defraud between May 7, 2013 and July 1, 2014 by a jury at the direction of Judge Adam Hiddleston.
Joseph Jordan, 29, from Waltham Cross, Hertfordshire, George Walters, 29, from Beckenham, in Kent, Max Potter, 25, of Enfield, Middlesex, Nathan Wilson, 28, of Brentwood, Essex, and Simon Akbari, 27, from Loughton, Essex, were also found not guilty of the charge.
The Press Association has reported that prosecutor David Durose QC said the material was "wrong described" and that "the inconsistencies were profound".
He said: "We have come to the conclusion that we cannot confirm to the court that the prosecution has discharged its disclosure duties in this case.
"We propose to offer no evidence against all of the defendants in this case."
Narita Bahra QC, who was representing co-defendant Max Potter, suggested the CPS should conduct an inquiry into the case and described it as a "litany of disclosure failings".
Mr Durose had stated the CPS accepted that experts were not instructed "in a way consistent with the criminal procedure rules", adding that the timing of the instruction was "unfortunate".
He said: "While we do not consider the two witnesses are at fault or unreliable it would be disproportionate to delay the trial to litigate these matters."
A CPS spokesman said: "We have a duty to keep cases under continuous review.
"With this specific case, earlier this week the prosecution were made aware of material that was disclosable but had not been shared previously with the defence.
"It was disclosed to the defence immediately, and following urgent consideration of its impact, we have now decided to stop the case against these individuals.
"As an organisation we remain committed to working with investigators, defence teams and courts to ensure we get disclosure right."
For more of the latest showbiz news from Daily Star, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.
Source: Read Full Article