Manchester United fan Rachel Riley condemns 'heinous' Antony abuse allegations
Rachel Riley has hit out at Manchester United winger Antony following the footballer being accused of domestic violence by his ex-girlfriend.
The Countdown star and Manchester United fan previously called out the club over Mason Greenwood potentially being reintegrated into the squad, saying she would no longer support the team if that happened.
Riley, 37, has now called for domestic abuse experts to be involved in ‘the club’s processes’ as she asked on X, formerly know as Twitter: ‘Is anyone doing any due diligence on these players?’
‘Heinous stuff described in these accusations,’ she added, referring to the allegations against Antony.
The Brazilian football player, 23, has been dropped from his national side over the accusations, which saw Gabriella Cavallin claim that he attacked her, damaging her breast implants and cutting her finger.
Cavallin had previously made accusations against Antony, with the Brazilian international saying he was ‘falsely accused’, but she has now made fresh claims against the former Ajax star, who signed for United from his previous club in an £85.5million deal in September 2022.
Antony is being investigated by police after Cavallin told Brazilian outlet UOL of an incident on 15 January: ‘I don’t remember exactly who the fight was about, but it was someone I had been with years ago. He punched me in the chest and my silicone [implant] turned over.
‘Then I came to Brazil for surgery to change the prosthesis. He said: “I didn’t mean to hurt you, it was accidental, it wasn’t a punch, I just pushed you, I just held you against the wall.”‘
Describing another alleged altercation on May 8 which ended with her cutting open her finger, the 23-year-old DJ and influencer claimed that she was locked in the house by the sportsman ‘with my finger open, all hurt’.
She also said that he ‘broke my things [and] took my passport’.
Cavallin says there were a number of attacks between June 2022 and May 2023, including Antony threatening to throw her from a moving car while she was pregnant.
Antony posted a statement on Instagram on Monday evening denying the allegations, which read: ‘Out of respect for my fans, friends and family I feel obligated to speak publicly about the false accusations I have been a victim of.
‘From the beginning I have handled this issues seriously and with respect, providing the due clarifications to the police authority. The police inquest is under cover of justice, and therefore I cannot make its content public.
‘However, I can say with confidence that the accusations are false and that the evidence already produced and more to be produced show that I am innocent of the accusations made. My relationship with Ms. Gabriela was tumultuous, with verbal offences from both sides, but I never practiced any physical aggression.
‘Every time, whether in testimony or in interview, she presents a different version of the accusations.
‘Thus, I come to deny the accusations made and inform that I remain at the full disposal of the Brazilian authorities to clarify what is needed. I trust the ongoing police investigations will reveal the truth about my innocence.’
Metro.co.uk has contacted Manchester United for comment.
This is a breaking news story, more to follow soon… Check back shortly for further updates.
If you’ve got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us [email protected], calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we’d love to hear from you.
For more stories like this, check our entertainment page.
Follow Metro.co.uk Entertainment on Twitter and Facebook for the latest celeb and entertainment updates. You can now also get Metro.co.uk articles sent straight to your device. Sign up for our daily push alerts here.
Source: Read Full Article