Zara Holland to appear in court in Barbados for 'breaking quarantine'
Former Love Island star Zara Holland has been ‘charged with breaching Covid-19 rules’ while on holiday in Barbados last week, and will appear in court on Wednesday, according to reports.
Over the weekend the reality star issued a statement apologising to the people of Barbados for flouting the rules after her boyfriend, Elliot Love, tested positive for coronavirus.
Despite being told to quarantine at their hotel, it’s alleged the couple made their way to Gratley Adams International Airport, where they were detained by officials.
A media release from Michael Blackman, sergeant at Hastings/Worthing Police Station, read: ‘Police at Hastings/Worthing Police Station have warned Zara Holland, 25 years old, a citizen of Great Britain and staying at the Sugar Bay Hotel, Hastings, Christ Church, of intended prosecution for the offence of breaching quarantine.
‘The accused arrived on the island on Sunday, December 27th 2020, and was tested for the coronavirus on December 28th, 2020 and reportedly instructed to remain at the Sugar Bay Hotel, Hastings, Christ Church until the results were known.
‘On December 29th 2020 Personnel from the Covid-19 unit visited the hotel and discovered that Zara Holland had left without permission.
‘She was intercepted at the Grantley Adams International Airport attempting to leave the island.
‘On Saturday January 02 2021, Zara Holland presented herself to Hastings/Worthing Police Station accompanied by an Attorney at law, she was served with a summons in respect of the mentioned offence and is expected to appear at the District A Magistrates Court on Wednesday January 06, 2021.’
Holland faces a year imprisonment or a £18,000 if found guilty of the alleged breach.
In a statement shared with Barbados Today, Holland said: ‘I firstly want to apologise to the entire country of Barbados for what has been a massive mix-up and misunderstanding during my most recent stay.
‘I am currently working with the local authorities to rectify any issues on my part and will issue an update and full statement which I think is the only right thing to do to the Government and citizens of Barbados.
‘I have been a guest of this lovely island in excess of 20 years and would never do anything to jeopardise an entire nation that I have nothing but love and respect for and which has treated me as a family.’
Responding to the situation, a Barbadian police spokesperson said: ‘Zara Holland has been released from a medical facility to go to her designated hotel. Elliott Love remains a resident at the medical facility.’
Meanwhile, a spokesperson from the Foreign Office confirmed they were aware of the situation, saying: ‘We are supporting a British man and woman in quarantine in Barbados, and are in contact with their family.’
Holland and Love arrived in Barbados last Sunday when they are thought to have had a test. However, Elliott then received a positive result on Tuesday.
Visitors to Barbados from high and medium risk countries must have a test before they arrive and another when they arrive, and restrict their movements while awaiting the results. If the result is positive, then the person is assessed at a government facility for a minimum of 24 hours; after this there is the option to self-isolate at your own expense or go to a government isolation location, such as the Paragon Military Base.
Returning home or resuming your holiday before recovery is forbidden.
Barbados has only had 395 Covid-19 cases and seven deaths since the beginning of the pandemic.
Holland found fame appearing on Love Island in 2016, and at the time held the Miss Great Britain title. She was later stripped of her crown after her sexual antics with Alex Bowen were shown on the show.
Metro.co.uk has contacted Holland’s rep for further comment.
Source: Read Full Article